Saturday, September 27, 2008

Thing 22 Ebooks and Audio Ebooks

Okay, I'm going to be perfectly honest. I get my audio books -- and most of my print books -- from the library. That arrangement works out well for me. My research is done on POWER Library or through the databases at Marywood University. I like getting my periodical and journal research in a digital format. But books? When I can touch them and use them and get them without difficulty? Why go digital? I guess because we can. I have been confused by project guttenberg. Is it just me, it very well could be. I did like the British Library OnLine Gallery -- the original Alice's Adventures Underground was truly beautiful. Yes, I'll admit it was nice to see the original drawings and the flip feature was nice. LibriVox was pretty cool, too. I guess I like to see the audio book (yes, the cover matters!) before picking it off the shelf, but downloading in digestible segments also make sense. There's also no worries about over dues ... okay, I can see the benefit. Some of these items are old and rare and it's nice to have them preserved in this format. I did enjoy William Blake's notebook -- I still think he was insane -- but nice to see. I preferred the British Library because it was easy to navigate -- popular picks right on the front page. I know I should become a join the world elibrary ... I guess I'll put that down on my next 23-Things to do. Way after my own podcasts ...

No comments: