Saturday, September 6, 2008

Thing 11

Okay, while I'm here and on line, I might as well get a couple of 'Things' done. Especially since I've been slacking since the end of July! Ahhh, August. It was a good time ... ahem ... no more digressing!

I really enjoyed the Travel I.Q. game -- yes, I started with the game. I'm easily distracted online. (Note: I'm on thing 11 -- it's taken me WEEKS to get this far!)

Hey -- this list of award winners is impressive. I think I worked on this 'thing' last month! My brother just bought a new house near Philly ... he shared it with the family on Zillow. This tool is great -- finding out what the house you're interested in worth -- what the house you're living in is worth -- uh, finding out what the houses of your friends and family are worth. C'mon, you know you're going to look! http://www.zillow.com/ You can see pictures find tax information, it's great for house hunters. Hey, from the aerial photo, the weeds among my flowers don't look too bad.

I had to revisit my favorite, del.icio.us. I had to beg my principal to have it unblocked for me at school! I was lost without it! Oh, the new filtering software. It's kept me busy these first 8 days. Back to del.icio.us, I don't know if I'm using it in the most 2.0 fashion. I use it to keep my favorites in a place that I can organize them an find them again! Also, so I can work from school and home when doing lessons, orders (yes, I know, I should get all these things done at school but I just can't do it all in a day sometimes!) and other school library related projects. I can see using this in a high school or middle school library - having students add sites as they find them and use them and to leave detailed notes about them - if I'm working from home, I know some of the students are. As an elementary school librarian, I can see creating one on my school website for parents to use when they're looking for good sites and allowing parents to share the sites they like and use. In addition to the 12-Things I haven't done yet ... my 'other Things-to-do-List' grows by the minute! I haven't really found any limitations for what I want to use it for - mainly notes on sites that I want to use again and organizing them in a way I can use them, instead of the unwieldy favorites list on my home computer.

As for the Ning Network, I joined TeacherLibrarianNing, natch. Where else should I be? Thank you, Joyce! You're a super-brarian! Lots of good ideas here. That aforementioned 'other-things-to-do-list' just got a little longer. I even got a message from another member welcoming me, moments after signing up. That's amazing. That's librarians for you!

I'm just about at the half way point of this journey - thanks for putting this together and helping me through this online adventure!

No comments: